Sandos Finisterra Hotel Review
It’s no surprise that the best resort locations go to the first hotels built in a new destination. Well on my trip to Los Cabos, I found a family-owned hotel that is just over 40 years old. It’s called the Finisterra. This word in Spanish literally means, “lands end”. It is an expression adopted by the entire Cabo destination (and of course a well-known clothing company). Since 1969, the Finisterra Resort has sat atop the highest peak at the end of the Baja Peninsula.
It was an engineering marvel back then; a daring undertaking. Built at a time when we were prone to letting designers build hotels instead of bean counters. The views are as breathtaking today as they must have been back then. And of course, the town and marina have grown so much over the years. So, there’s a lot more to see from atop that hill.
But alas, travelers want what’s new. They want to marvel and be surprised each year as if they were vacationing at the World’s Fair. And if hotels do not freshen their properties with the latest achievements such as Jacuzzi tubs in the room, swim up pool bars, fine cuisine and internet access…people will go elsewhere, and your hotel will become Finis La Vida. Your heart has to be in the hospitality business. It’s too competitive a business to rest (for very long) on your laurels. The Finisterra clientele was dying off and it’s shine was wearing off.
In 2000, the family finished a new building of 180 ocean view junior suites with balconies. But the thrill didn’t last long. The Finisterra was in need of new management and a new concept. Enter the Sandos Company and the all-inclusive concept.
Sandos is a cutting edge, Spanish hotel Company that knows what today’s traveler wants in their resort vacation experience. Sandos is stepping into the Los Cabos destination as if it were one of the first to arrive and Sandos Finisterra is capturing one of the most breathtaking locations in the entire destination.
Sandos Finisterra wants to capture the hearts of a new generation of travelers. And they’ve hired the right man for the job, Ramon Ascencio. Ramon has passion and he knows where he wants to take this resort. It is my belief that Social Media will either catapult you or it will kill you. And, I’m going to do my best to see that travelers to Los Cabos know about this great, new hotel option.
My clients will want to stay at the Sandos Finisterra because:
- it is the only true all-inclusive resort in downtown Cabo San Lucas
- the rooms are large and will accommodate a family of five
- every room has a water view…if you’re facing the Pacific Ocean you’ll have the opportunity to see whales from your balcony (please bring your binoculars Nov-Apr)
- there will be 26 Suites with views of the city and the bay. I predict these will be the most romantic suites in all of Cabo
- you can walk for 10 minutes and for a small fee, board a water taxi that takes you to famous Medano beach where you can enjoy a day of swimming in the sea as well as jet-skiing, para-sailing and lunch at one of Cabo’s most endearing landmarks, The Office.
- Free internet will be provided in the lobby and you can sit at one of the tables in the coffee shop/deli just like your Starbucks at home.
- This location will give you the best of both worlds.